Doctor Day came to consult with us about options to treat Porter. When we first got there we were under the impression that the cardiac cath was our only option. However, he felt like it would be a good idea to start him on Cydenaphil (aka Viagra) to see if we could see a response by morning. The picture below is of the Echo to see if they could see any improvement. After much debate over the results of the echo, Dr. Day felt comfortable to send us home on this treatment for the next month & come back for a follow up. We thought that would be the hard part. Little did we know we were going to be fighting the insurance all day to prove Porter really does need that one very expensive med. They wanted the doctors to perform the heart cath to prove it was a necessary treatment. I was outraged! If I was ever a difficult parent to deal with, I found my boiling point! I absolutely refused to let them do a 4 hour procedure on my baby when we already know this treatment will help him! At a later date we may still need to do the procedure, but the bigger he is the less risks there are for infection as well as many other complications.
(Besides, I guess we wouldn't have had a real NICU experience if we hadn't had to visit Primary's for at least one day! Just kidding!)
3 comments:
Well, hey. When he's grown you can tease him about having used viagra already. ;D Talk about black mail when he starts dating!....in 30 some odd years of course.
Just the word "insurance" makes me angry :) I'm glad they are going to cover it though.
Oh my word!!! I am so angry for you about the insurance!! I could scream.
Post a Comment